The “Rescue Me" website is owned by World Organization, hereinafter referred to as "WO".
For U.S. and other non-EU users:
WO does not collect any personal information about users, except that which is knowingly and specifically supplied to us by the user.
WO is committed to ensuring the privacy of your personal information.
WO will not sell or pass on your information to any other organization outside of WO unless you specifically and expressly give us permission to do so.
If you are under 18 years old, WO suggests that you ask your parents or guardian before signing up on this site.
What information do we collect?
a) Personal information such as name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and date of birth (where appropriate). We collect this information only in connection with specific activities, such as membership, campaigns, feedback, surveys, email newsletter subscriptions, etc. You don't have to disclose any of this information if you do not wish to.
b) Non-personal information such as IP address (the location of the computer on the internet), pages accessed and files downloaded. This helps us to determine how many individuals use our site, how many people visit on a regular basis, which pages are most popular, and which pages are least popular. This information doesn't tell us anything about who you are, it simply allows us to monitor and improve our service.
Personal information submitted through the forms on this site is held only in a WO database. We promise that WO will not share the information you give to us on this website with any other organization outside of WO unless you have specifically given us permission to do so.
If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent's or guardian's permission before you send any information about yourself (your name, address, e-mail address, etc.) to us or anyone else over the internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children's use of the internet and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
Your right to access the information: At any time, you can ask us for a copy of the personal information that we hold about you or request a correction or deletion of information.
External links: There are links on this web site that take you to other web sites outside of our service. Any links provided to third party web sites outside of this site are provided solely for your convenience. The operation and content of such third party web sites is beyond our control, and we do not endorse in any manner whatsoever or accept any responsibility for the content or other material that may be contained on such web sites, the use of such web sites, or any products or services advertised on or sold through any such web sites. We will not be liable under any circumstances for any damages whatsoever, direct or indirect, resulting from any use of this web site or any other third party web site linked to this web site, whether or not we are advised of the possibility of such damages.
While using WO web sites, you may be exposed to content of other users. If you think any content posted on WO web sites violates someone else's copyright or in any other way violates any law, please notify us with details so we can investigate the situation. Please contact us online or write to: Abuse Department, World Organization, 2020 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, #2001, Washington, DC 20006
Children's Guidelines: WO complies fully with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA). None of the web sites covered by this policy knowingly collect identifiable personal information from children under age 13. If we discover that a person under the age of 13 has provided us with any personally identifiable information, we will delete that information from our systems. We are unable to reply to information requests from children under the age of 13, if so identified. A parent or guardian must initiate any requests for information from children under the age of 13 on their behalf. We encourage parents to supervise children when they browse the Internet.
Spam: WO complies fully with the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act of 2003 (CAN-SPAM Act). To this end, WO: Always offers recipients of e-mail marketing and e-newsletters a clear means of opting-out from the receipt of future messages; always includes WO's physical address within the body of all our e-mail messages; never uses false or misleading header information in any e-mail message; never attempts to deceive e-mail recipients by using deceptive subject lines; never uses automated means to harvest e-mail addresses from web sites or web services; never generates e-mail addresses using programmatic methods; never shares e-mail addresses with any other organizations.
How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals: WO does not track its customers over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals.
Questions? WO welcomes comments and questions on this policy. We are dedicated to protecting your personal information, and will make every reasonable effort to keep that information secure. If you have any questions, please contact us online, call us toll-free anytime at 1-800-800-2099, or write to:
2020 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, #2001
Washington, DC 20006
For EU users:
Definitions and interpretation
Data: collectively all information that you submit to WO via the Website. This definition incorporates, where applicable, the definitions provided in the Data Protection Laws;
Cookies: a small text file placed on your computer by this Website when you visit certain parts of the Website and/or when you use certain features of the Website. Details of the cookies used by this Website are set out in the clause below (Cookies);
Data Protection Laws : any applicable law relating to the processing of personal Data, including but not limited to the Directive 96/46/EC (Data Protection Directive) or the GDPR, and any national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, for as long as the GDPR is effective in the UK;
GDPR: the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679;
WO, or us : WO of 2020 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, #2001, Washington, DC 20006;
UK and EU Cookie Law : the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 as amended by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011;
User or you : any third party that accesses the Website and is not either (i) employed by WO and acting in the course of their employment or (ii) engaged as a consultant or otherwise providing services to WO and accessing the Website in connection with the provision of such services; and
Website: the website that you are currently using, rescueme.org, and any sub-domains of this site unless expressly excluded by their own terms and conditions.
- the singular includes the plural and vice versa;
- a reference to a person includes firms, companies, government entities, trusts and partnerships;
- "including" is understood to mean "including without limitation";
- reference to any statutory provision includes any modification or amendment of it;
- For purposes of the applicable Data Protection Laws, WO is the "data controller". This means that WO determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, your Data is processed.
- We may collect the following Data, which includes personal Data, from you:
- contact Information such as email addresses and telephone numbers;
- IP address (automatically collected);
How we collect Data
- We collect Data in the following ways:
- data is given to us by you; and
- data is collected automatically.
Data that is given to us by you
WO will collect your Data in a number of ways, for example:
- when you contact us through the Website, by telephone, post, e-mail or through any other means;
- when you register with us and set up an account to receive our products/services;
- when you enter a competition or promotion through a social media channel;
- when you make payments to us, through this Website or otherwise;
- when you elect to receive marketing communications from us;
- when you use our services;
Data that is collected automatically
- To the extent that you access the Website, we will collect your Data automatically, for example:
- we automatically collect some information about your visit to the Website. This information helps us to make improvements to Website content and navigation, and includes your IP address, the date, times and frequency with which you access the Website and the way you use and interact with its content.
- we will collect your Data automatically via cookies, in line with the cookie settings on your browser. For more information about cookies, and how we use them on the Website, see the section below, headed "Cookies".
Our use of Data
- Any or all of the above Data may be required by us from time to time in order to provide you with the best possible service and experience when using our Website. Specifically, Data may be used by us for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping;
- transmission by email of marketing materials that may be of interest to you;
- We may use your Data for the above purposes if we deem it necessary to do so for our legitimate interests. If you are not satisfied with this, you have the right to object in certain circumstances (see the section headed "Your rights" below).
- For the delivery of direct marketing to you via e-mail, we'll need your consent, whether via an opt-in or soft-opt-in:
- soft opt-in consent is a specific type of consent which applies when you have previously engaged with us (for example, you contact us to ask us for more details about a particular product/service, and we are marketing similar products/services). Under "soft opt-in" consent, we will take your consent as given unless you opt-out.
- for other types of e-marketing, we are required to obtain your explicit consent; that is, you need to take positive and affirmative action when consenting by, for example, checking a tick box that we'll provide.
- if you are not satisfied about our approach to marketing, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time. To find out how to withdraw your consent, see the section headed "Your rights" below.
- When you register with us and set up an account to receive our services, the legal basis for this processing is the performance of a contract between you and us and/or taking steps, at your request, to enter into such a contract.
Keeping Data secure
- We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your Data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by a password and a user name that is unique to you.
- we store your Data on secure servers.
- Technical and organisational measures include measures to deal with any suspected data breach. If you suspect any misuse or loss or unauthorised access to your Data, please let us know immediately by contacting us via this e-mail address:
- If you want detailed information from Get Safe Online on how to protect your information and your computers and devices against fraud, identity theft, viruses and many other online problems, please visit www.getsafeonline.org. Get Safe Online is supported by HM Government and leading businesses.
- Even if we delete your Data, it may persist on backup or archival media for legal, tax or regulatory purposes.
- You have the following rights in relation to your Data:
- Right to access - the right to request (i) copies of the information we hold about you at any time, or (ii) that we modify, update or delete such information. If we provide you with access to the information we hold about you, we will not charge you for this, unless your request is "manifestly unfounded or excessive." Where we are legally permitted to do so, we may refuse your request. If we refuse your request, we will tell you the reasons why.
- Right to correct - the right to have your Data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erase - the right to request that we delete or remove your Data from our systems.
- Right to restrict our use of your Data - the right to "block" us from using your Data or limit the way in which we can use it.
- Right to data portability - the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your Data.
- Right to object - the right to object to our use of your Data including where we use it for our legitimate interests.
- To make enquiries, exercise any of your rights set out above, or withdraw your consent to the processing of your Data (where consent is our legal basis for processing your Data), please contact us via this e-mail address: .
- If you are not satisfied with the way a complaint you make in relation to your Data is handled by us, you may be able to refer your complaint to the relevant data protection authority. For the UK, this is the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). The ICO's contact details can be found on their website at https://ico.org.uk/.
- It is important that the Data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your Data changes during the period for which we hold it.
Transfers outside the European Economic Area
- Data which we collect from you may be stored and processed in and transferred to countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). For example, this could occur if our servers are located in a country outside the EEA or one of our service providers is situated in a country outside the EEA.
- We will only transfer Data outside the EEA where it is compliant with data protection legislation and the means of transfer provides adequate safeguards in relation to your data, eg by way of data transfer agreement, incorporating the current standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission, or by signing up to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework, in the event that the organisation in receipt of the Data is based in the United States of America.
- To ensure that your Data receives an adequate level of protection, we have put in place appropriate safeguards and procedures with the third parties we share your Data with. This ensures your Data is treated by those third parties in a way that is consistent with the Data Protection Laws.
Links to other websites
Changes of business ownership and control
- We may also disclose Data to a prospective purchaser of our business or any part of it.
- In the above instances, we will take steps with the aim of ensuring your privacy is protected.
- All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law.
- Before the Website places Cookies on your computer, you will be presented with a message bar requesting your consent to set those Cookies. By giving your consent to the placing of Cookies, you are enabling WO to provide a better experience and service to you. You may, if you wish, deny consent to the placing of Cookies; however certain features of the Website may not function fully or as intended.
- This Website may place the following Cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies: These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
Functionality cookies: These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- You can find a list of Cookies that we use in the Cookies Schedule.
- You can choose to enable or disable Cookies in your internet browser. By default, most internet browsers accept Cookies but this can be changed. For further details, please consult the help menu in your internet browser.
- You can choose to delete Cookies at any time; however you may lose any information that enables you to access the Website more quickly and efficiently including, but not limited to, personalisation settings.
- It is recommended that you ensure that your internet browser is up-to-date and that you consult the help and guidance provided by the developer of your internet browser if you are unsure about adjusting your privacy settings.
- For more information generally on cookies, including how to disable them, please refer to aboutcookies.org. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your computer.
- Unless otherwise agreed, no delay, act or omission by a party in exercising any right or remedy will be deemed a waiver of that, or any other, right or remedy.
- This Agreement will be governed by and interpreted according to the law of England and Wales. All disputes arising under the Agreement will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
You may contact WO by email at .
Below is a list of the cookies that we use. We have tried to ensure this is complete and up to date, but if you think that we have missed a cookie or there is any discrepancy, please let us know.
We use the following strictly necessary cookies:
Session Cookie: We use this session cookie to remember you and maintain your session whilst you are using our website.
We use the following functionality cookies:
Favorites cookie: We use this cookie to store any posts you have favorited so that they are still accessible when you return to our website.
Location Cookie: We use this cookie to remember the last location you selected when looking for available adoptions.
User ID: We use this cookie to remember your login ID for future logins if you have created one or more posts.
User Email: We use this cookie to remember your user email account for future logins if you have subscribed to rescue alerts.
Widget Preferences: We use this cookie to remember if users viewing our 'Sticky Widget' last viewed it open or closed.